Top Five To-Dos
- Annapurna Circuit Trek
- Get blessed by the 100-Rupee Monk in Menang
- Paragliding in Pokhara
- Eat half-price bakery items after 8pm
- Ride on top of a bus like the locals do
Top Five Don’t-Dos
- Breathe in the Kathmandu air for more than three days
- Cry at over 5,000 meters (it wastes precious oxygen)
- Visit Chitwan National Park expecting to see animals
- Trek at nighttime without being sure of where you’re going
- Ride on top of a bus for several hours in the cold
Top Five Things We Learned
- Your left hand is considered “dirty,” so don’t use it to take your change (unless you use both hands) or to eat with (unless you are using a knife AND a fork). Use your right hand.
- PDA is taboo, and so are shorts. Kevin and I didn’t even hold hands in public, I think we’ve forgotten how. Don’t show affection, and cover your shins.
- We’re not sure if this was on purpose or not, but we got short-changed several times, once by 500 rupees (~$7). Hey, 500 rupees could buy you five sandwiches, 20 cokes, 25 apples or one night at a guesthouse! Count your change.
- In Kathmandu, the traffic is bit crazy, the hawkers are loud and the electricity goes out promptly for two hours at 5:30 every night. But hey, it’s Kathmandu! Go with the flow.
- Kinda cheesy, but doing the Annapurna Circuit really tested us (well, at least me), mentally and physically and every other-ly. But we survived it, and we loved it. Trekking is pretty awesome.
Kevin’s Top Five Favorite Pictures
Zhou’s Top Five Favorite Pictures
Total days: 29
Days over budget: 21
Days under budget: 8
Total dollars over budget: $238.80
Kevin showers to new foods ratio: 1:2
Kevin showers: 9
Zhou showers: 10
Longest time between showers: 5 days
Hours spent trekking the Annapurna Circuit: 86.8
Longest day of trekking: 9 hours
Most expensive hotel on trek: 300 rupees (~$4)
Consecutive days spent without changing pants: 21
Kevin books read: 2
Zhou books read: 3
Thought of the Day: Are there going to be any other countries where we can eat dinner for $3?
Picture of the Day: A sneak peek: Singapore airport