On a scale of 1 – 10, I would classify the success of our blog as a 7. The number of subscriptions has steadily gone up since we started our trip, and we’re always encouraged by your comments. (Yes, we read every one even though we have yet to respond to any – sorry about that.) However, it’s still lacking that one thing that will push it from playing at the local pub on a Thursday night to having Lady Gaga open for it at Radio City Music Hall. Today, I think we have found that something: Power Rankings.
If you’re even remotely interested in sports, I’m sure you’ve noticed the completely arbitrary and ridiculous rankings some guy comes up with on every sports website. You don’t want to click on them, but they call to you like a Siren’s song. I know my team’s record is the worst in the league, but maybe, just maybe in Luke Winn’s opinion there’s somebody who stinks even more than us this week. If I were ever rightfully discovered to write for espn.com, I’d want to do the Power Rankings. You don’t need to know squat and in thirty minutes of writing you’d have an article that millions read.
We at No Hurry Curry have finally decided to jump on the Power Rankings bandwagon. We’ve put our heads together and have come up with a composite ranking of every country we’ve visited during the first third of our trip. So without further ado, we present to you our “First Trimester Power Rankings.”
(T1) Taiwan: If you get the chance to visit Taiwan soon, give Tina and Michael a call. They could even turn Pittsburgh into a fun place to see if they had to.
(T1) Nepal: It’s difficult to imagine another country that can combine such picturesque scenery with an unmatched sense of accomplishment like Nepal did.
(3) Tanzania: If only Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles were filmed here too, Tanzania would have made a good run at number one.
(4) Uganda: We’ve been to the Nile, have Uganda?
(5) Thailand: Zhou’s top pick heading into our world trip, this slips to number five because of the city that tells you it’s called Bangkok then takes you to an overpriced suit store.
(6) Zambia: The Devil’s Pool easily surpasses deviled eggs for the number one spot on my “Things That Start With Devil” Power Rankings. (Last on the list? The Devil Wears Prada.)
(7) Kenya: If everyone became a Masai warrior the world would be a much better place.
(8) Malaysia: Bumping into the filming of The Amazing Race will make any country crack the top eight.
(T9) Hong Kong: Our biggest disagreement in these rankings; Zhou had Hong Kong four spots lower than me because she missed the incredible morning of sightseeing.
(T9) Singapore: We didn’t have the guts to put a country known for it’s zoo (however incredible the zoo is) anywhere near one known for the Great Migration.
(11) South Africa: When seeing Up and eating at a bakery were the highlights of a country, it doesn’t belong in the top ten.
(12) Botswana: We loved our wild elephant visitors by the pool as we ate dinner, but we can’t remember anything else we enjoyed in Botswana.
(13) Malawi: In a spot normally reserved for the Cleveland Browns, Malawi brings up the rear only because some place had to.
Thought of the Day: Thoughts of the Day don’t really add anything to the blog, so we’ve decided they have to go. I’ll liken their short-but-sweet run above the P.O.D. to Michael Olowokandi’s short-but-sweet career not adding any value to any NBA team.
Picture of the Day: Zhou says taking this picture gave her a headache, but look at how cool it is!